If a CDM, SMI-S, CMDB, DASH, CMI falls in Santa Clara… will anyone hear it?

I’ve been asked a number of times lately if I’m going to the Management Developers Conference taking place this November in Santa Clara. The title sure sounds like something right up my alley. Well, at least it did until I checked out the agenda. In a nutshell, this is a conference of vendors talking about the latest in management standards efforts.

I’ve commented before on how the vendor-backed standards efforts are out of touch with what is going on in the IT trenches. This is yet another example. What happened to concept that standards started with consensus on the ground and then matured from there? The ivory tower approach has been a historical failure in our space, why not surprise us all and try a different approach this time?

In every enterprise that contends with more than a handful of servers and applications you’ll find that there’s a “management developer” of some sort. Amazingly, software vendors and standards bodies appear to have little regard for those developers opinions when they meet in their ivory towers to dictate the next round of vendor sports standards. How many of of those real management developers would feel that this conference or these standards efforts (or any of the previous failed efforts that these current efforts are repeating) are relevant to their day to day lives?

1. Jhonel says:

Peter,Great post. Good luck and have fun on the Left Coast. TEC is a great program.Your oiatrvsebon regarding the difference between Boston and SV is very interesting and insightful. I think that we Bostonians unfairly compare ourselves to SV. It is synonymous to us Red Sox fans chanting Yankees Suck , when the Yankees have won 27 World Championships vs. 7 for the Red Sox. Comparing the successes of SV tech companies vs. Boston tech companies yields similar results. One other comparison is the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees and Microsoft and Facebook being developed in the Boston area and moving to SV. Have fun.

2. Shaw Webmail says:

It is synonymous to us Red Sox fans chanting Yankees Suck

3. Shaw Mail says:

JABARDASTH DHANRAJ CAUGHT REDHANDEDLY TO POLICE RAID IN HYDERABAD WATCH THIS VIDEO

4. mac says:

good You’ll need gmail id that is google to make use of the attributes of the applications that is bluetacks. Xender for Windows Start Browser program afterward and open site of Google and shop play Xender Free Download windows 7/8/8.1

5. ipal biotech says:

I really liked the description ipal biotech . I also hope the distribution itself is also as good. Nice work, keep it up. Share the knowledge.

6. robert says:

Despite my canton living, my mother is the ambassador of our township; accordingly holds a appealing top profile. I’m consistently in the attainable eye, mentoring in schools, giving motivational http://www.handbags-replicas.co.uk speeches to adolescence and seniors.

7. Xiaomi Mi6 Features | Mi6 Review, Concept and Design:

Xiaomi Mi6 Release Date, Specs, Rumors and Price Information:

xiaomi mi6 rumors

8. 4 years ago, I didn’t know the slightest thing about creating a blog on TalkTalk account login. Greatly excited by the prospect of starting a blog of my own, I went ahead to register my first domain nameTalkTalk email Login.

9. bestinol says:

best product in market list is here

10. Communications strategist with experience in deploying technology based solutions for corporates and nonprofits in India, UK and USA. Trained in globalization and development and has a healthy appetite for solving problems. Passionate about how education and women’s empowerment programs are creating social impact at the enterprise level.

11. Much obliged to you for peopling get the data they require. Extraordinary stuff of course. Keep up the colossal work!!!

12. azula says:

In Azula surf the latest news about our oceans, watch buzzworthy video of cute,
    funny or weird animals and make a lifestyle choice to protect our seas.

13. Movement 2017 provides tools for activists and donors to connect
    with hundreds of grassroots vote groups across the United States.

14. If you are afflicted with bouts with anxiety, you can feel safe that your aspire to use herbal plants for panic treatment would not mean that you will be required to drive around inside an old lorry with like beads hanging with the mirror. Herbal plants for panic have vanished mainstream with thanks

15. We are ready to give your mobile app all the attention it deserves. We can work independently or with your team to create and finish your mobile app within deadline. Check out our portfolio of past work

16. Travel Umroh says:

Good information, hopefully there are other interesting information, the latest and nice post on this article.

17. I just got to this astonishing site in the no so distant past. I was really caught with the bit of assets you have here. Huge thumbs up for making such awesome blog page