Looking for “cross-over people” at O’Reilly Velocity 08

In the comments section of a previous post, Berkay nicely summed up why it is so difficult to solve the development to operations problem:

“There are very few people that have the crossover skills. Developers who have operations experience/knowhow and operations people who have development/deployment experience is rare. Further there are organizational silos enforcing this divide.”

The observed gap between development personnel and operations personnel is a subject we’ve touched on before. Much of the success of running an efficient business based on online services depends on closing this gap.

The first step to closing the development to operations gap is getting everyone talking and establishing a common vocabulary. Any event that promotes these types of discussions are a good thing in our book.

O’Reilly’s new conference, Velocity, should be a good forum to hold these conversations. Alex and I will be attending Velocity and will also be participating as exhibitors (with ControlTier). The bulk of the conference agenda is focused on infrastructure design and management rather than application deployment and management, but the presence of both is a good sign.

If you are attending the conference, we look forward to meeting you. If you aren’t registered yet, you can use the code “vel08js” for 20% off.

1. Brandon says:

Interesting, I have a funny legacy of Ops -> Dev -> Designer -> Dev/Ops in my career. While I realized that developer and designer together was fairly unusual I hadn’t given much thought to Ops and Dev.

Can’t say it hasn’t come in handy on either side! As an ops guy I wrote scripts and programs to make my and my coworker’s lives better, and as a Dev I provision my own networks and servers.

2. The appropriate recommend introduces entirely helped myself additional network my communication. My confess wanted individual further more i desire been the real cant musician for some as averse to instantly, beside beside bantam contribute personalized through my rallys.

3. casino says:

Your current type regarding setting extrinsic seemed to be pure. Whereas i prize belateds target an cardstock writer receive coupled this species of speeds.

4. Berleykim says:

With all these silly wesstieb, such a great page keeps my internet hope alive.

5. That’s a creative answer to a difficult question

6. With his Muslim background, Obama may well have been impregnated with the populist idea in the Muslim world, that the conflicts in the Muslim world can only end if there is a unified Muslim state.He may even see that as an idealistic goal that would bring real peace.

7. Nunca é de mais ouvir As Portas que Abril, pois que esse poema relata toda a Odisseia dessa magnífica Revolução. É um "Lusíadas" de menoor dimensão, em tamanho claro.25 de Abril sempre!!!!!!Um beijo.

8. 3 pytania:1. czy nie da sie tego zalatwic w 'msalonie'? trzeba przez mparty i polecone? jeszcze pewnie dla pewnosci ZPO…2. czy to oznacza, ze za te okresy pobiora oplate? bo ja akurat bede mial MC do zamkniecia i nie mam ochoty im tej kasy oddawac 😀 (naliczaja co miesiac)3. jesli odpowiedz na 2=tak to czy lepiej zastrzec przed wygenerowaniem nowego wyciagu (28 gru) czy po 28 gru?

9. This ring on a woman’s finger can be a sign of her acceptance and willingness to marry a particular person. Frequently are given by guys to females. Even so, the other way about also is gaining recognition in the US. In some nations like Finland, Norway etc each parties committed to marriage put on these rings.

10. http://www./ says:

what do you think about blogroll or links to other blogs? also the idea of interacting with other similar blogs…like commenting on their posts and having a link to your blog. for example there are a lot of posts on a certain microphone and i also wrote a post on it. so i comment and leave a link to my post.thx for all the tips.

11. Voi sisko, kun susta on saatu niiiiin ihania kuvia! Kuinka söpö oletkaan nukkuessasi! Tassut niin söpösti päällekkäin ja niin muikeasti pieni pää. Mitähän unikuvia tuossa katselit? Tuliko pentuus ja emo uniin? Ehdottoamasti paras kuva ikinä!Pääsiäisen riemua siskokullalle omistajineen! Ja kaikille muille kissamaisille lukijoille kissoineen ja muine ötököineen!

12. Me parece muy interesante todo este tema de la "financiación social". Yo conozco un proyecto que también apoya a los autores por medio de la comunidad. Tal vez sería interesante comentarlo por aquí. 🙂

13. Incredible posting this is from you. I am really and truly thrilled to read this marvelous post. You’ve really impressed me today. I hope you’ll continue to do so!

14. ALC says:

Your work here on this blog has been top notch from day 1. You’ve been continously providing amazing articles for us all to read and I just hope that you keep it going on in the future as well. Cheers!

15. hlriks says:

thanks for sharing this article

16. jamesjack says:

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    ALC

17. Its an incredible joy perusing your post.Its loaded with data I am searching for and I want to post a remark that “The substance of your post is magnificent” Great work.

18. Losing weight or weight reduction is a hot topic nowadays. I am sure that these tips provided will great help for people looking to reduce weight especially persons like me.

19. telephone says:

It also contain a telephone service that you can call at the 0892 22 20 22 to speak with a true and good fortune-teller. Ask questions to her, and she will do all the possible to offers you the real answers you are waiting for.

20. Family Law says:

Established law firm in Seattle, Washington. Our areas of practice include: Criminal, Family, and Divorce Law. Hours of operation are from: Monday – Friday 8am-5pm. Our phone number is: (206) 413-1621.